On 26th of August 2020, Enlit, Initiate! and IRENA hosted a webinar discussing how the 30 innovations identified by IRENA in its “Innovation landscape for a renewable-powered future” project are accelerating the energy transition.
The webinar stressed the importance of a systemic innovation approach, meaning fostering innovation in four dimensions: enabling technologies, business models, market design and system operation. The role of those innovations were discussed in the context of the ongoing disruptive trends in the power sector: 1) digitalisation, 2) decentralisation and 3) electrification. These trends are changing paradigms, unlocking system flexibility for a high share of VRE penetration. They are changing the roles and responsibilities of actors and opening doors to new entrants in the sector.
Expert presentations were followed by a panel discussion.
Speakers and panel participants:
- Annagret Groebel, Director of International Relations at the German Regulatory Authority BNetzA; President CEER
- Dolf Gielen, Director Innovation and Technology, IRENA
- Enno Böttcher, CEO, NODES
- João Torres, CEO, EDP Distribuição
- Maher Chebbo, Co-Chair of the ETIP SNET Digital Energy
- Mark McGranaghan, Vice-President Innovation, Electric Power Research Institute
- Michele Governatori, Professor of Environmental Economics and Resource Economics, University Suor Orsola Benincasa
- Norela Constantinescu, Manager Research & Innovation, ENTSO-E
- Vaitea Cowan, Co-Founder, Enapter
The webinar can be view on demand here.